Friday, October 14, 2005

First Post

Well, I've been planning this blog for a while now; I've been in Nihon for just a little over four months, but it was only a couple of days ago that I got internet access at my apartment, so now the fun may begin.

First, perhaps, a little about myself. My name's Matt Shultz; I'm a 24 year old Canadian, over in Japan as an eikawa sensei (that's English school teacher for the vast majority of you who don't speak any Nihongo other than samurai and ninja. I'm not being condescending here: my Japanese is utter shite, which can get old real fast when you're trying to chat up a pretty girl at a club.) Anyhow, I graduated just under a year ago with a B.Sc. in physics from the University of Toronto, and after spending a number of months wasting time with crap temp jobs in Canada's biggest city, I said screw it and came here. Seemed like a better deal.

By and large, it is. I miss all of my friends and family back home, of course, but I've met (and keep on meeting) a lot of really cool people over here, both Japanese and gaijin. I put it down to a sort of self-selection filter effect: expatriates tend to be eccentric (otherwise they wouldn't be expatriates, right?), while Japanese people who want to meet and talk to gaijin are obviously going to deviate a little from the Japanese norm.

Anyhow, after being here for four months I've got material in my head for probably dozens or hundreds of posts. Very little or none of which will be posted: if I did, I'd be sitting here for weeks getting it all down, and not only do I have a job to worry about, I like to think I have something resembling a social life. So for now I'll just leave you with a picture I snapped with my keitai (cell phone):


This was taken outside Shinjuku Station (the largest and busiest train station in Tokyo.) The cute little shill is pointing towards one of the ginourmous shopping malls that sit on top of the train station. Other countries build statues to great statesman or heroic warriors. Here, they're for corporate mascots, anime characters, and Godzilla.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home