Thursday, February 02, 2006

What a Fine Day

I woke up after four hours sleep (I blame you, Neal Stephenson!) The weather was terrible. It rained, heavily, until some point in the evening. And there was an earthquake (though I didn't feel it for some reason; however, it did cause a delay in the trains.)

But, thanks to the rain, two students cancelled today, which left me with about two and a half hours of sweet nothing right in the middle of the day as only one student was signed up for those two classes. I put the time to good use, reading a fascinating book, Religion Explained: The Evolutionary Origins of Religious Thought, which consists of an investigation of the universal human phenomenon of religion from the viewpoint of cognitive science.

Since today is Wednesday, the earliest of my early shifts, I was finished at 4:00. It was then down to the Kichijoji Excelsior (Excelsior is Japan's answer to Starbucks), to get some writing done while I waited for my language exchange partner. This went as usual: an hour's conversation in English, followed by an hour's instruction in Japanese out of a textbook (it goes without saying that her English ability is far beyond my Japanese ability.)

There was even a nice surprise at the end: another woman in the coffee shop had overheard us, sussed out that I was maybe an English teacher, and approached me about assisting her with a press release and a presentation she had to give to a visiting corporate team from the States. She's with the marketing division of an IT company, I think. At any rate, I gave her my e-mail address and either she calls or she doesn't.

All in all, a pretty sweet day.

2 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Deb Shultz said...

Did she call? Love Mom

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Matt said...

E-mailed the next day. Nothing since then. I think maybe I'm too young and inexperienced for her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home