Friday, June 09, 2006

In Which I Brag

So I've been studying Japanese at the sedate pace of a few hours a week (on average: I go through flurries, two+ hours a day for a couple of weeks, followed by weeks of not even glancing at the book) since last September, which I like to think isn't all that long. I think I'm officially starting to get somewhat decent at it, and here's my proof:

今、私の日本語をもっとじょうずです、と、本がいいじゃないので、クラスの前、レソンプランを書いたなければなりません。2千円をしごく小さいです。それから、3千円なったら、私は教えます。

And the translation:

Now, my Japanese is more skillful, and, the book is not good and so before class I have to write a lesson plan. 2000 yen is too small. Thus, if it becomes 3000 yen, I will teach.

Actually, that's a pretty rough translation (and after I sent the above, I discovered a spelling mistake ... and there's probably more. I'm not saying that my Japanese is perfect ... just better.) At any rate, as you can see, I successfully engaged in simple wage negotiations, in Japanese (weirdly, this is the first time I've ever negotiated for higher pay.)

At any rate, I received an email a few hours later, in which the company in question (that would be Hello Teacher) agreed to pay me 3000 yen an hour. I felt pretty good about myself after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home